- The Plantation Course has held up extremely well against the best players even though there has been very little wind. I have heard more positive comments from the players about the course this week than any other of the 17 years of this tournament.
- Hideki Matsuyama has a chance to become the best player in the world. There is no doubt that when his career is done, he will go down as the greatest player ever from Japan.
- Golf Channel and NBC coverage has been the best I’ve experienced in all my years of announcing at this event. Maui and Kapalua have never looked better.
- The 18th hole at the Plantation Course is one of the best and most exciting finishing holes on the entire PGA Tour. Moving the tee forward in Sunday’s 3rd round by the PGA Tour was a great move and insured that most of the field would still try to reach the green in two…even with the Kona winds.
- Maui has some of the heartiest fans in golf. I continue to be amazed at how many people follow a group around the entire course( ie Jason Day and Matt Kuchar today). The front nine, especially holes 3-8 is one of the toughest walks in golf.
- With so many players bunched closely at the top of the leaderboard it’s very hard to pick a winner going into the final. I must say though that I have a good feeling about Jimmy Walker. His tremendous combination of power and precision fits this course well….and besides, he’s a really nice guy.
Stay tuned for my Hyundai Tournament of Champions wrap up later today… Watch the HTOC final round today LIVE on the Golf Channel 4-8pm ET .